Thursday, February 24, 2011

It Is Beginning to Look a Little Like.....Winter/Spring~

This has been an interesting week.  The weather has been a challenge as it snows, blows and makes things a mess.  I was supposed to leave on a jet this morning for  Fairbanks.  Late last night I received a phone call from Alaska Airlines telling me my flight had been cancelled and I had been rebooked for Friday instead of Thursday.  I appreciated the call and slept soundly without worrying about the flight's status.  It was wonderful to wake up feeling rested!

 
The power conveniently went off the first time after the coffee was made.  As the wind pounded against the south side, my husband and I pulled up our chairs and sat with our feet to our fire.  He read by headlamp while I worked on things.  Our battery-powered radio updated us on the news, open/closures and the Iron Dog status.   .....    school was open, the Iron Dog restart on hold and bomb supplies were found in Texas.  The internet was down and our phones weren't working.  Other than the bad news, it was a pretty peaceful way to start the day.

About 9 AM they closed the schools.  Parents were told to come get their kids.  One of the three busses, the Blue,  had gotten stuck, the weather was getting worse and the winds were fierce.   
But, the power came back on for hot chocolate time!

Two of the Iron Dog teams were still holed up along the trail to Nome and had to be withdrawn from the race.  One of the teams was the homeboys, Stacey and Cliff.  The drivers and race officials in Nome held a meeting to decide what to do; wait all day or try a mid-day send off.  A decision was reached and they sent groups of teams under a yellow flag to Unalakleet to try to get past the storm for the official restart.  

For a second day in a row they cancelled all flights to Nome. . .no milk, mail or people in or out.

The strong winds from the south managed to push ice up onto the sea wall and around the Snake River Bridge.  Temperatures warmed to above freezing and rain began mixed with the other "stuff".  Open water was reported.

These willows are usually MUCH taller when they are standing upright.  And the snow to their left, is DOWN the hill by the river.  The drift has really grown.
A grader came out to clear the impassible Kougarok Road (yeah!) and my husband went up to move cars so they could plow around the blocked vehicles.  It took two hours, lots of pulling and a guy who knew how to use the articulating arm of the grader to its maximum potential!



It was a really good day to stay home and watch the world from the inside out.....

6 comments:

  1. Mike has one of those head lamps..he uses it when he takes those week long bike rides. they work great in the tent...never thought of getting them for power outages....we are supposed to get the "coldest storm in decades" today. lows in the 30s. Stop laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I've been reading your blog for a long time now and finally got the bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out from Huffman Texas! Just wanted to tell you keep up the excellent job!

    Here is my homepage: Cheap Christian Louboutin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very rapidly this website will be famous amid all blog people, due
    to it's fastidious content

    Feel free to surf to my web-site - fake ray ban sunglasses

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the helpful info you provide in your
    articles. I'll bookmark your blog and check again here regularly. I am quite certain I'll learn many new stuff right here!
    Good luck for the next!

    my web-site; cheap mac cosmetics

    ReplyDelete
  5. Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied
    on the video to make your point. You clearly know what youre talking about, why waste your
    intelligence on just posting videos to your weblog when you could be giving us something enlightening to read?



    Feel free to surf to my website :: fake ray bans

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is the best time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy.
    I've read this post and if I could I desire to suggest you some interesting things or advice. Perhaps you can write next articles referring to this article. I desire to read even more things about it!

    My website; Ray Ban Outlet

    ReplyDelete

It is so nice to hear from you!
Thanks for taking the time to leave a note!
I will respond to you directly by email,
Sharon