Sunday, August 21, 2011

Alone Again~

Well, our last child has left again for school far, far away.
Again, the kids are all gone and we are alone,
a couple
again.

Plus a dog :o)


Last year was the first time since 1985 that it was just us.



Such a scary thought.....all of the kids gone from the house
and       just       us.

A really scary thought...

After the initial gnashing of teeth whenever I thought about it--
months before it would ever happen,
then watching the last one really, truly, leave on the jet.

I went home to our warm, sunny house,
and sweet memories.




Surprisingly, after a few days,
I discovered that the change was kind of liberating....

For so many years I had been the Mom in Charge
and now I only have to be in charge of me.
The kids are the ones responsible for their homework, entertainment,
meals, and choices.

I think it might be kind of like retiring from a job you absolutely love
where you had hopes and dreams when you started,
the days at work were challenging, but fulfilling,
leaving a lot of really good things to think about when they were done.

You will always miss it,
and if you are really lucky
you will be included in the fun to come.

But you are satisfied that your creations
are wonderful and you are so tickled with the paths they are forging..


And now planning dinner is easier,
because there is only one other person to please~
who is pretty easy as long as he doesn't have to cook~
and really good at dishes!




We are not empty nesters,
we are now newly fledged looking at our possibilities.
Doesn't that sound better?


I think today is a good day for a steak.....





No comments:

Post a Comment

It is so nice to hear from you!
Thanks for taking the time to leave a note!
I will respond to you directly by email,
Sharon