Friday, February 24, 2012

Rising Water~

There is a new patch of skate-smooth ice almost every time 
I drive by the sea ice.
I figured it must be overflow.
On my way home today it was steaming in the sunshine 
and I stopped to check it out.


If I would have had skates, it would have been perfect for a glide..
As I watched the steam and noticed the abundant ice crystals,
I kept hearing the gurgling of running water, but couldn't figure out where it came from.

After looking around, I saw this mound of ice and carefully crawled over to check it out.


Just beneath the surface, was a waterfall!!
As the water flowed it went under then through the cracks in the ice to flow across,
making a smooth new layer every day.


As the sun beat down on our beautiful -10' day,
the steam rose.
The moisture created beautiful crystals all around the ice rink.


It is looking pretty spring-like!

In about three weeks, this will be part of the Iditarod trail.....




2 comments:

  1. You are braver than I to inch up for a closer look! Photos are great, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did it the old-fashioned way...on my hands and knees so not far to fall! Probably looked pretty silly but it was interesting to see it up close! Glad the pictures turned out and you enjoyed them!

      Delete

It is so nice to hear from you!
Thanks for taking the time to leave a note!
I will respond to you directly by email,
Sharon