During the 1950's a series of radar stations were built
in strategic points in Alaska.
Their purpose was to improve communications between systems
that were part of the early-warning system
and they were known as the
WACS (White Alice Communication System).
One of the locations in operation until the 1970's was on
Anvil Mountain, north of Nome.
After the military finished using them, they continued to be important to the area
as a historical landmark,
and a visual point for planes and travelers.
They were also efficient repeaters for ham radio operators.
Originally there were dorms, offices and radio stations among the structures.
After the 90's all of the buildings except for the towers were removed.
The towers were scheduled to be next,
but the project was held up when many entities objected.
The compromise is that the skins, reportedly containing asbestos, will be removed-
but the skeletons will remain.
A new face for a familiar site.....